Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (Issue #91, October 2008)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
ZADNISZÓWKA, also known as Zadnieszówka, is a village in the county of Skałat. It is located 18 kilometers northeast of the court house in Podwołoczyska. It is situated on a stream called Samca, which flows into the Zbrucz river. The railroad line named after Karl Ludwig crosses the area. A large farmstead covered 84 morgen of farmland, and gardens, 213 mr. of meadows, and 16 mr, of pastures. The forests covered 71 mr. of land. A second farm estate covered 104 morgen of farms, 96 mr. of meadows and gardens, 139 mr. of pastures and 2 mr. of forests.
In 1890 there were 263 houses with 1938 inhabitants. There were 3 houses, with 18 inhabitants, living at the manor and estate. The population consisted of 884 Roman Catholics, 784 Greek Catholics, and 268 Jews, The Poles numbered 1113, the Russians 804. The R. Catholic parish was in Kaczanówka, the Greek Catholic church was in Staromiejszczyzna. The village of Z, had a one classroom school.