Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (April 2013)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
Warlubie, or Warlub, known as Warlubien in German, a village, a manor house and an estate, is located in the county of Świecie, 15 kilometers northwest of Grudziądz. The railroad station lies to the east between the towns of Bydgoszcz and Tczew. A high road passes through the town, running to Nowe and Grudziądz. In the late 1890s another road was under construction, leading to Komórsk. The post office and telegraph office was located 3 kilometers distant. Other roads led to Biała Góra and Lipinsk.
In 1887, there was a 3 classroom Catholic school with 197 students, as well as an Evangelical school with one classroom and 63 pupils. There were 4 distilleries, 3 mills, and the soil was very fertile for farming. The district covered 923 ha (hectare), of which 685 was farmland and 161 were meadows. In 1880, Warlubie had 160 houses, a population of 1388 people, of whom 1087 were Catholics, 289 were Evangelicals and 12 were Jews. The adjoining colony of Małe Warlubie had 18 houses and 137 inhabitants, and a small settlement called Milenica had 13 houses and 58inhabitants. The Catholic church was located in Komórsk. A census taken in 1892 counted 119 horses, 277 cattle, 17 sheep, 313 pigs, 126 goats, and 73 beehives.
Warlubie was one of the oldest towns in the district. In his archeology book on West Prussia, the writer G. Ossowski states that on the railroad line heading to Tczew, the land was covered by marshy swamps and peat bogs. These can still be seen near the villages of Płochocinie and Płochocinek, as they stretch toward Małe Warlubie, in the direction of Bąkowa. For many years now, in these bogs are found items of archeological nature, such as neolithic stones, hammers, axes, etc. The majority of these were found in the vicinity of Warlubie. Most of these items were uncovered in excavations only 10 feet deep. Ossowski managed himself to uncover some remnants of a stag's antlers, which are now found in the collections at the Academy of Kraków. He also describes the findings of skeletons and bones of animals on pages 2 and 3. In 1877 near the railroad line to Grudziądz, he describes the finding of stone caskets in which ashes were found; these caskets held containers of bronze and glass. In leveling the land near the still standing manor house in the late 1800s, several more stone graves were unearthed, as described by Ossowski on pages 38 and 39 of his book. The first mention of Warlubie is found in documents from 1277, at which time it actually was listed as "Warlube and was the property of Mestwin II, Duke of Nowe, as described by von Perlbach in his "P.U.B." pages 245 item #288. Later it became the property of the Bishop of Kujawa, Albert, who acquired it as a gift from Duke Świętopełk. In older documents found in the village, referred to Warlubie as Worlube in 1513, Warlub in 1577, Warlieb in 1655, Warlubie in 1789, and Warlob in 1760. During the times of the Teutonic Knights, Warlubie was a part of the district of Tczew. The taxation schedule for the populace is outlined in the T.P.N. Journal in Poznan, page 176 in 1871, at which time it was part of the county of Nowe.
As a result of the Swedish invasions, the village was totally destroyed and the city fathers Marcin Forta and Lukasz Firyn petitioned the local court to free the populace from paying taxes. In 1703, the pastor in Komórsk received a tithe from the parishioners in the form of 20 bushels of rye and oats. One field was the property of the pastor in Płochocinek. In 1760 Warlubie belonged to the district of Komórsk. The village also had a tavern/inn. In 1773, there were 18 fields owned by the Chełmiński nobles, who had 10 houses with 169 inhabitants, all of whom were Catholics. There were 84 horses, 129 sheep, 21 oxen, 55 cows and 87 pigs in the village.
Among the farm products, the plantings consisted of rye, barley, oats, beans, buckwheat, flax, and hay which totaled 27 wagonloads. (See Zeitsch d. Westpreuss. Gesch. Vr. 1886, page 367. In 1780, there were 162 Catholics and 6 others, as per documents from the visitation of Bishop Rybinski. Whereas the tithe was once 22 bushels of rye, it was later reduced to nine. In 1789 the village had 31 houses, (page 248 in the documents). It seems that at one time there was a church here, and 8 fields were its property called "Poświętne" (blessed).
During the era of the Teutonic Knights, these 8 fields were seized by them and distributed into private hands. In 1486, two sisters from Bękowa named Barbara, the widow of Jan Schow and Brygita, wife of Szymon, testified that the property was seized from them and 8 fields from Poświętne, between Warlubie and Bękowa, were confiscated. An appeal by the last owner on his deathbed, was instrumental in the eventual return of the property by an edict issued in Nowe, by King Kazimierz. In 1557, Bishop Stanisław Karnkowski signed over to the church in Płochocinek, 4 fields. By 1780 the pastor in Płochocinek had possession of only 1 field. (See Utrac. by Reverend Frankidejski, page 266, paragraph 2. In 1813, Jan Czerski, born in Warlubie, with Jan Ronge and Dowiat, were the founders of a German Catholic Church in Germany. Czerski, born in 1813 was still alive in 1893, and lived in Piła where he founded a Christian Apostolic Catholic Community. However, he failed to attract any members to his organization.