Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (July 2013)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
Uszew (with Zawada), a village in the county of Brzesko, lies on the Uzwica river, which flows into the Vistula. It is on a hilly location surrounded by forests of beech trees. The soil is fairly fertile, and conducive to the growing of rye. The village once belonged to the Bishops of Kraków; it is prosperous and well built.
There was a Roman Catholic parish and a three-classroom school. The brick church with a steeple, was built to replace the one which burned down in 1806. The year the parish was formed is not known. However, according to the historian Długosz in his book Liber Beneficiorum, volume 2 page 276, he states that there was a wooden church in the village dedicated to “Wszyscy Święci” (All Saints). The parish belongs to the deanery of Brzesko.
Along with the manor house, there were 228 houses and 1577 inhabitants in the late 1880s. Of these 1541 were Catholics, 36 were Israelites. A large farmstead covered 288 morgen (mr.)  of farms, 27 mr. of meadows, 1512 gardens of produce, 3 mr. of pastures 244 mr. of forests and 378 small farms. Another farmstead covered 1092 mr. of farms, 216 mr. of gardens and meadows, 50 mr. of pastures and 94 mr. of forests. According to Długosz, in 1581 there were 18 fields belonging to small farmers later this figure shows only 11. One farmer had cattle, and the village also had one carpenter and a tavern/inn owner.
The high road leading from Brzesko to Tymowa ran through the village. The closest post office and telegraph station was located in the Goetz factory in Okocim, 3.7 kilometers distant. On the south Uszew borders Wólka Zawada; on the north lies Poręba Spytkowska (Spytkowice); to the south also lies Gnojnik and Zawada Wielka. On the west lies Chronów, and on the east through the woods lies Doły and Loniowa.
↑  One morgen/mr. = ~2.116 acres.