Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (Issue #55, April 2001)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
The village of Tuszów was divided into two sections, namely, Tuszów Polski or Narodowy, and Tuszów Niemiecki (German) also known as Kolonia and Reichsheim. It is located in Mielec County, five kilometers from Mielec on the road leading from Mielec to Baranów on the Wisła River. A railroad line from Dębica to Nadbrzeże crosses the village between the two stations of Chorzelów and Jaślany. The large farmstead was the property of Albina Włodków. In the late 1800s there were 205 houses, a public school, and 919 inhabitants, (466 women and 453 men) of whom 884 were Roman Catholics and 35 were Israelites. Tuszów Niemiecki (German) had a German public school, 24 houses and 128 inhabitants, of whom 121 were Catholic and 7 were Israelites. Of the entire population, there were 105 Germans and 23 Poles.
The German Kolonia of Tuszów was established by Joseph II of Austria. He gifted the new settlers with 30 morgen of land, and horses, cattle and seed. The lending bank had a capital of 3,048 złoty. The Polish Tuszów belonged to the church in Jaślany, in German called Josefsdorf. Polish Tuszów borders Jaślany on the north, Brzyście on the west, and Czajkowa on the east. Tuszów Kolonia bordered Malinie on the south.
Note: General Walter Sikorski who was in command of the Polish Army in exile during World War II was born in Tuszów Narodowy.
Personal note: A great-grandfather of mine, Josephat Kobany, was a teacher in the Polish school in Tuszów in the years 1834-1857. Helen