Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (Issue #75, July 2005)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen C. Bienick
Tonia, with its two hamlets of Błonie and Brzeżnica, is a village in the county of Dąbrowa Tarnowska, on the right bank of the Wisła River, about 175 meters above sea level. Wólka Błonie lies to its south, on the road leading to Bolesław. Brzeżnica lies on the Wisła, which separates it from Tonia. The district numbered 79 houses and 415 inhabitants, of whom 400 were Catholics and 15 Jews. A large farm estate owned by Baruch Goldfluss covered 142 morgen  of farms, 67 "saźen"  of gardens, and 787 "saźen"  of parcels for construction. A second estate covered 270 morgen of farms, 30 morgen of meadows, and 145 morgen of pastures. The sections of Tonia situated on the Wisła are protected against flooding by dikes. On the west, Tonia borders Pawłów, to the south lies Bolesław, on the east it borders Mędrzychów and Kupienin. The local district lending bank had a capital of 600 złoty. The settlement was founded in rather later years, possibly after 1674. Up to the end of the 17th century, there is no mention of it in the records of the villages belonging to the parish church in Bolesław.