Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (Issue #26, October 1994)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
The village of Surowa lies in the county of Mielec, on the right bank of the Wisła river. It nestles on a level plain 163 meters above sea level. The parish church is in Czermin, 8.2 kilometers to the east. The town was widely scattered, had 51 houses and 280 people, of whom 6 were Jewish. The soil was very fertile, and a wall three meters in height protected the village from the river’s overflow, drawing the excess water thru a long narrow pond. The large manor estate owned by Countess Jadwiga (Hedwig) de Ligne, consisted of 9 morgen of farms, 18 mg. of meadows and gardens, 92 mg. of forests, and 16 mg. of unused land. The lesser estates had 216 morgen of farms, 42 of meadows, and 20 mg. of pastures. According to Pawinski’s History of Little Poland, the village was already in existence in 1581, and was then the property of Count Jan Tarnowski. At that time it covered 3 kilometers of land, 2 fields, with gardens and farms; there were 3 tenant farmers, and 3 tradesmen. On the northeast, Surowa borders Gliny Wielkie; on the east Łysakówek, Wola Otałęska on the south, and the Wisła river on the west.