Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (Issue #67, October 2003)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
SŁAWOSZEWKO [now Słaboszewko], also known as Słaboszewko, called Slawoschewko in 1523, and Szlaboszewko in 1567, was a nobility owned village. It was located in the county of Mogilno, about 9 kilometers south of Barcin. It lies on the road leading to Mogilno, in an area about 102 meters above sea level. It borders, Krzekotowo, Obudno, Szczepankowo, and Sławoszewo [Słaboszewo]. The Catholic church and parish was in Szczepanowo, but once before it was in Sławoszew. The Protestant Church and post office were in Dąbrowa, the railroad station in Janikowo about 13 kilometers away, and another station in Mogilno.
Sławoszewko was known to be in existence in 1396, when it was known as Sławoszewo. In 1579, the village consisted of 2 sections, called Gorecki and Sierski. Gorecki had 1 ½ farming land, 2 cottage farmers, and 1 craftsman; Sierski had 1 farm, 3 cottage farmers. In 1618 there were 2 1/2 fields, 3 cottage farmers and 1 craftsman. In the latter 1700's, Sławoszewko was the property of the Gosławski family. In the late 1800's, it was known as "Kleinrode" and had 8 houses, 91 inhabitants, of whom 46 were Catholic and 45 were Protestant. It covered an area of 122 ha* of land, of which 104 ha were farmland, and 1 ha was a meadow.
The manor house and estate were known as "Sławoszewski", and had 13 houses, 192 inhabitants of whom 113 were Catholic and 79 were Protestant. The entire estate covered 537 ha of land, of which 509 were used as farms. The village had a distillery, a brick making business, and a hold for raising Rambouillet sheep [any of a variety of merino sheep originally bred in France and yielding fine wool and mutton].
*ha is hectare equivalent to 2.47 acres.