Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (Issue #78, April 2006)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen C. Bienick
Pstrągowa, a village which covered a vast area of land, in the county of Ropczyce, lies in a valley on a stream also called Pstrągowa, which flows into the Wisłoka river. The area has many smaller streams which in turn feed the Pstrągowa stream. Noted among them are Strachotyna, Podbrzezie, Granice and others which are unnamed. The village of Pstrągowa consisted of many sections and small settlements, such as, Granice Pstrągowskie with 35 houses and 201 people, Podbrzezie with 20 houses and 115 inhabitants. Pstrągowa had 162 houses, a church and 1092 inhabitants, Pyrówki had 28 houses and 139 people, Strachociny had 17 houses with 86 people, and Wola Pustkowska, had 91 houses and 557 inhabitants. Another section of Pstrągowa was divided into five settlements, namely, Będkówki, Górny Dwór, Łychowszczyzne, Maraskówna, and Okopy, in total 22 houses and 202 people. All combined, Pstrągowa had 375 houses and a population of 2392, of whom 1214 were men and 1178 were women. Of this total, 2312 were Roman Catholics and 80 were Jews. There were 3 large farmsteads. One covered 4697 morgen of land, of which 3253 mr. were farms, 238 mr. were meadows, 299 were pastures, and 1177 mr. were forests. The second covered 2448 mr. of land, 1445 mr. were farms, 100 were meadows, 122 were pastures, and 781 were forests. The third covered 2519 mr. of land, with 1808 mr. in farms, 138 mr. of meadows, 177 mr. in pastures, and 396 mr. of forests. Many joint owners controlled these holdings. Pstrągowa is situated in a valley and is bordered on the west, north and east by hills covered with trees. In general the soil is like clay but loamy in the higher elevations, the best being in Okopa and Maraskówka, especially in the lower sections. In olden days, this was known as a collocation according to the historian Długosz, in his book Liber Beneficiorum Volume II, page 256, and Volume III, page 393. According to the writer Pawinski, in his book "Małopolska" (Little Poland), he states that in 1536 Pstrągowa was known as Pstrągowa Górna (Upper) and Pstrągowa Niźna (Lower). Pstrągowa Gorna had two owners, half belonged to Stanisław Łowczynski, and the other half to Jan Krampski. There were 60 farm owners with fields of various sizes, who paid a tax of 18 "grzywien" (an old monetary silver coin), in addition to 60 measures of oats, and cheese, eggs, and such. Besides these farms, there were 30 vacant fields, two manor houses and two royal "folwarks" (large farmsteads, usually owned by the nobility), two inns, which paid a tax of two grzywny, a water mill, and three neglected ponds. The local town sheriff owned four fields. The value of Pstrągowa Gorna was stated as 300 grzywna.
Pstrągowa Niźna (Lower) was the property of Jan Ramolt, and had 17 fields owned by farmers, who paid a tax of 7 grzywny and 23 groszy, and an inn which paid a tax of 22 measures of oats. Lower Pstrągowa had a worth of 250 grzywna. In Pawinski's history of Małopolska, page 257, he writes that in 1581, Pstrągowa Niźna was divided into two sections, both owned by Melchior Szczepiecki, but one section was maintained by Dorota Dymnicka. Her portion had 25 farms, two tenant farmers with cattle, and three tenant farmers without cattle. The local sheriff owned two large fields. Another section had 46 farm owners on 11 fields, six tenant farmers with cattle, and seven tenant farmers without cattle.
The Roman Catholic Church was built of wood, and constructed in 1474. The parish belonged to the diocese of Tarnów, and the deanery of Wielopole. In the late 1800s, portions of Pstrągowa were the property of Teofil Wasilewski and Elizabeth Gokiert. The owner of the settlement of Okopa was a Jewish proprietor, who received it from the Łazowski family. A tragic event occurred in 1846, when all the joint property owners and their administrators were murdered. Many had children attending schools in Rzeszów. The attackers managed to recall them from the schools, and upon returning home, they too met the murderous fate of their parents.
Pstrągowa had no schools. The local lending bank had a capital of 1033 złoty. Pstrągowa borders Nowa Wieś on the south, Czudec on the east, with Przedmieście Czudeckie; on the west it borders Zawadka and Nawsie, and on the north Bystrzyca.