Pokrzydowo Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902) by Helen Bienick
Pokrzydowo, a village in the county of Brodnica, had a Catholic church and school, a postal agency, a Polish farmers’ Circle, a starch factory and a brick-making industry. The village covered 2768.06 morgen  of land. In 1868, there were 63 buildings and 34 houses with 354 people, of whom 319 were Catholics and 35 were Evangelicals. The Evangelical church was located in Brodnica, where the main post office was also situated.
The present Catholic church dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of our Blessed Lady was newly rebuilt in the years 1864-1866, and was consecrated on September 16, 1866. A temperance society was founded in the village in 1855. In 1867, the parish which belonged to the deanery of Brodnica, numbered 1136 souls in 1807, and in 1886 the number was 2196. The following villages belonged to the parish in Pokrzydowo: Szramowo, Kuligi, Topiele, Czystebłoto, Świniarnia, Kąciki, Lipowiec, Ławy-Drwęcy, Zastawie, Staw, Rownica, Bochotek, Pokrzydowo and Świecie. During the visitation of Potocki in the year 1706, we learn that the original church in Pokrzydowo was dedicated to Św. Wawrzyniec (St. Lawrence) and was built of wood with two altars. It was only an affiliate to the church in Brzozie. The resident pastor owned four fields (włoki -- one włoka measured 30 morgen of land). In a 1667 visit by Canon Strzesz, there were 160 communicants in the parish, as described in his report on pages 580-582. During the reign of King Zygmunt August, heretics seized this affiliate church. The affiliate church had three banners bearing the coat of arms of the Białobłocki nobles and that of Count Ogończyk. At that time, the following villages belonged to the affiliate church: Pokrzydowo, Jajkowo, Szramowo, Bochotek, Świecie, Kantyła and Grzemięca. As outlined on page 337-339 by Canon Strzesz, there were 160 parishioners. Other villages belonging to the parish in Pokrzydowo in the late 1800s were: Jajkowo, Jelonek, Kantyła, Pokrzywnica, Gaj Grzmiętów, Grzmiąca, Strzemiuszek, Karaś, Szafarnia, Tęgowiec.
↑  One morgen of land is ~2.116 acres. Ed.