Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (Issue #91, October 2008)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1680-1902)
by Helen Bienick
PODWOŁOCZYSKA, a small hamlet in the county of Skałat, was situated on the border betwwen Galicia, and the province of Podolia. Its location is 185 kilometers from Lwów, (now Lviv, in Ukraine) and 532 kilometers from Krakow. It is bordered on the East by the river Zbrucz,, and beyond it by Wofoczyska in Podolia province = on the south it borders Zdaniśzowka on the west Supranowka,and Stara, and to the north by a large pond. In 1857, P, was a tiny settlement in Staromiejszczyzna, which had a large farmstead. After the railroad from Tarnopol to Worczyska was built in the districts of Zadnieszowka and Staromiejszczyzna, a busy commercial and progressive town began to emerge, thanks to the freight being shipped between Russia and Galicia. (,1.B.Galicia was the name given by Austrians to the part of Poland, which they secured after the 3 partitions of Poland). The new village now lacked an administration, had no representation, and no authorities. Soon, a departmental council was formed, which petitioned and applied for city rights from the Emperor of Austria. In Article # 1, the emperor declared that Zagrobela would be separated from the district of Zdanieszowka, # 2, the area of P, would be separated from the noble estate in Staromiejszczyzna. These 2 areas would then be combined to form a district town bearing the name Podwołoczyska. The rail-road trading flourished for the importing of corn and grains from Imperial Russia] P, had a station on the Karl Ludwig railrad line and a second class customs house, besides being the last town on the high road traveling from Rohatyn-Brzeźany-Tarnopol-Podwołoczyska. After the heavy trade in commodities and their exchange began to expand, buyers and sellers began to descend near the station. Soon, hotels were built to accomodate the business agents. Houses sprang up as if from nowhere, and in 1880 the population numbered 1874 inhabitants. The numbers were constantly changing depending on the influx of buyers and agents. Some of them were from Sweden, France, England, and Germany.
The hotels were always full of guests, the telegraph station was very busy, and even the post men had difficulty handling and delivering the mail. The Jews were very active in this area, since they controlled many businesses on both sides of the Zbrucz-river. After another railroad line was built in Russia, the trade began to decline at the P, terminal. P, had a Roman Catholic parish, and in 18?9 there were 441 Catholics. A church was built in Toki, also a school with 2 teachers, In the late 1800's the town of P, had 2 albumin factories. During the period of 1881-1885, the following businesses were in existence: 2 brick kilns, 2 shoemakers, 2 tailors, 4 surgeons, 5 bakers, 1 pharmacist, 2 midwives, 1 stonemason, 1 buyer of mixed goods, 43 buyers of grain, 7 buyers of lumber, 4 buyers of flour and groats, 1 tap room. owner, 2 cotton buyers, 1 storekeeper selling spices, 3 dealers in cloth, 9 buyers of wine, 6 speculators, 3 bankers, 10 trade agents, 25 for-warding agents, 8 innkeepers, 1 coffee house owner, 17 tavern keepers. In the very late 1800's a new railroad line was constructed from P, to Toust. At one time the large farmstead and manor house was the property of the Rzyszczewski noble family, but in the late 1800'x, it belonged to the estates of Count Waclaw Baworowski. Pages 481, 482, and 483., are statistics, showing the amounts, weights, etc., which were traded through the P, railroad station, during the years of 1881-1885. The names of the products are underlined in red, and the English translation may be found on the left and right sides of the page.
|do Galicji||to Galicia|
|do Rosji||to Russia|
|od Rosji||from Russia|
|od Galicji||from Galicia|