Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (Issue #26, October 1994)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
The village of Otałęz, lies in Mielec county. The 15th century Polish historian, Jan Długosz referred to it as “Othalasz.” It is 170 meters above sea level, and is situated between the stream Jamnica, and the river Bren, as they flow towards the Wisła (Vistula) on its right bank. The town in reality is situated on a pond, which carries the run off waters from a very swampy forest, towards the north. On the banks of the Wisła stands a defensive rampart or parapet, and a folwark, “Olec.” To the south of Otałęz lies a spread out forest totaling 191 morgen of area. Otałęz belongs to the parish in Czermin, and numbered 670 Catholic inhabitants. The soil is partly slimy, partly sandy. Count Arthur Potocki’s estate covered 248 morgen of farms, 40 mg. of meadows and gardens, 37 mg. pastures, and 190 mg. of forests. The lesser holdings and estates consisted of 564 morgen of farms, 53 meadows and gardens, 365 mg of pastureland, and 1 mg. of forests. Jan Długosz in his History of Poland (II 404 and III 428) states that Otałęz was once the property of the king’s marshal, Jan of Rytwian, the count Jastrzebiec, and consisted of 5 lan (fields) tilled by peasants, and on inn. Tithes collected were donated to the convent in Beszowa. In the census of 1579, the records showed Otałęz as having 16 settlements, 5 fields, 2 gardens, 2 tenant farmers, and 1 indigent person. (See Pawinski’s history of Malopolska.) :Little Poland. In the early 1800’s a customs house existed in Olec. Otałęz had a one classroom public school. On the east, Otałęz borders Otałęska Wola, Surowa and Górki to the north, Ziempniow and Słupiec to the south.