Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (October 2012)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
Łopienno, a town and a municipality in the county of Wągrowiec, lies in a sandy area on a small lake. It covers two sections, the town itself and a large folwark (farmstead) belonging to the local parish. In 1881 there were 1002 inhabitants. In 1871 there were 89 houses and 943 inhabitants; 81 were Evangelicals, 816 were Catholics, and 46 were Jews. There were 275 people who were illiterate. The church and the parish were part of the deanery of Gniezno’s Sts. Peter and Paul Church. There was an elementary school with a few classrooms in the town that also had a pharmacy, a postal agency, and a telegraph office. The high road from Gniezno to Kcynia ran through Łopienno. A private omnibus from Kłecko to Janowiec Wlkp. (Wielkopolski) also passed through Łopienno. The railroad station was in Rogozno (in German Rogasen) 12 kilometers distant. To the south, there was a railroad station in Gniezno, 26 kilometers away.
In 1811 there were 70 houses with 306 inhabitants; in 1833 there were 551 of whom 525 were Roman Catholics; the Evangelicals numbered 5, the Jews numbered 21. In 1519, the town gained city rights and privileges by a decree issued by King Zygmunt I (Sigismund). The decree was issued and granted at the request of Jan Łaski, Archbishop of Gniezno and Andrzej Zakrzewski, a nobleman and secretary. The laws of governing were changed from Polish to the German style. The populace was given permission to present their claims before a local sheriff. The residents were permitted to have market days weekly, and two fairs were allowed per year. They were permitted to display their wares on tables, in the same fashion as practiced at the Archbishop fairs in Znin. The commodities for sale would be the same as offered in the markets in Gniezno. For ten years the merchants were free from paying taxes, tariffs and custom house fees on their products. However, in the event of a war, they were asked to give two horses for the military wagons, as well as two grzywna (coins) and a driver for the wagon.
After the Zakrzewski noble family, Łopienno became the property of the Latalski noble family (as described in the Kodex of Polish diplomats, Volume 11, page 514).