Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (October 2013)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
Lądek, a village that lies on the river Warta, about one kilometer from its corridor, is in the county of Słupca, district of Ciążeń, with the parish in Lądek. It is about 20 kilometers from Słupca on the road which runs from Konin to Pyzdry. It is 26 kilometers distant from Konin and 217 kilometers from Warsaw.
In the village there is a brick church, a shelter for 12 elderly and crippled people, and an elementary school. In 1827, there were 71 houses with 620 inhabitants; in 1860 there were 76 houses (24 made of brick) and 727 inhabitants, of whom 19 were Jews. In the late 1800s there were 82 houses and 814 inhabitants.
Lądek was founded in 1230 by the Cistercian Monks, who lived in the town of Ląd. The city was governed in the manner of the German rules, and in German was called Landeck, after privileges were granted to it by Kazimierz, the Duke of Kujwa. The abbots were very instrumental in getting preferential treatment from the Polish kings, as is evidenced in the archives of Warsaw, and discovered in 1851. After the Abbey was suppressed in 1798, the Prussians confiscated its possessions and sold them to private owners. The parish church was funded by Mieczysław Stary, and rebuilt from bricks in 1777 by Konstanty Słowicki, the abbott. The parish in Lądek belongs to the deanery of Słupca, which numbers 3065 souls, as recorded in the book Liber Beneficiorum volume 1, pages 280 to 293.
Note: Liber Beneficiorum is a volume of books by Długosz covering the history of churches and religious institutions in Poland.