Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (July 2011)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
Krysk, a village in the county of Płonsk, lies on the river Naruszewka in the district of Naruszewo. It is 10 “verst” distant from the city of Płonsk. The town had a brick parish church, a savings bank and lending office, a windmill and a small inn. In the late 1800s there were 11 houses and 210 inhabitants. Farmland covered 886 morgen of land, 26 morgen not in use. The Krysk colony of non-Polish inhabitants had 6 houses with 63 people on 346 morgen of land. In 1827 the village numbered 18 houses and 287 inhabitants.
A small wooden church was erected in 1481 by Jan de Krysko, a canon from Płock. In the 16th century it was destroyed by lightning. It was rebuilt of brick and named in honor of St. Florian. In the 19th century it was destroyed due to the lack of an overseer. The church was rebuilt in 1850 through the efforts of Franciszek Dziechoński, who became the pastor. The parish church in Krysk belonged to the deanery of Zakroczyn.
The village of Krysk was once the property of the Krysk family. A member of this family, Małgorzata, was the mother of St. Stanislaus Kostka. In the 18th century the town was the property of Sołtyk, a castellan of Kraków, whose commemorative plate is set in the church wall. The owner of Krysk in the late 1800s was Kazimierz Karczewski. His folwark (a large farmstead) included Krysk and the village of Drohowo, which was 12 verst from the Wisła river and covered an area of 559 morgen of fertile land and gardens, 125 morgen of meadows, one morgen of pastureland, 20 morgen of forests, and 40 morgen of unused land. There were 18 brick buildings and 30 built of wood. Eight morgen were set aside for raising cattle and 10 morgen were used for hunting. There were 57 non-Polish colonists with 57 morgen of farms in Krysk. The village of Drohowo had 20 colonists with 224 morgen of farmland.
Note: One morgen = ~2.116 acres. A verst is a Russian measurement comparable to 0.663 mile. A folwark is a large farmstead and manor house, usually the property of a nobleman. A colony was a settlement of non-Polish people (in this area, probably Germans).
Sanniki had a brick parish church, an elementary school, a shelter for the poor, and a hospital for the factory workers. Also located in the town were the local district court, the civil office, a post office, a sugar refinery, a distillery in 1875, a windmill, a brick-making kiln, and an inn with a restaurant. There was a liquor warehouse, six shops, three bakers, four butchers and 12 other craftsmen in the village. In the late 1800s, there were 89 houses (16 built of brick) and 1,912 inhabitants, of whom 1,807 were Catholics, 50 were Evangelicals, 10 were Baptists, and 44 were Jewish. Only 110 of these people could read and write.