(52º 53’ N – 19º 07’ E --- 133 km NNW of Łódż)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen C. Bienick
Konotopy, a village in the county of Sokal, lies west of the county court and post office in Sokal. On its northeast boundary sits the village of Cielęż; on the east and south borders Sokal; on the southwest it borders Opulsko; and on the northwest lies Chorobrów.
On the east, flows the river Bug, from Sokal and the southeast in a circuitous route to the northwest. It then turns from the north to the east and enters the village of Cielęż. On its left bank, it is joined by several small streams, which flow from west to east. On the right bank of the Bug, lie very wet pasturelands; on the left bank are found rustic buildings and houses; and to the south of them is located a field called, Mogiłki (mounds), near an elevation in Konotopy – 198 meters in height. The valleys of the many streams are also very marshy.
A large farmstead owned by Komorowski covered 353 morgen of farms and meadows, 135 morgen of farms, and 120 morgen of pastures. Another estate covered 926 morgen of farms, 120 gardens, and 77 morgen of pastureland. According to the 1880 census, there were 542 people in the district, of whom 128 lived on the noble estate. About 200 were Roman Catholics and the remainder were Greek Orthodox. The Catholic parish was in Sokal. The Greek Orthodox church was in the deanery of Waręż, in the diocese of Przemyśl. The village of Opilsko was also a part of the Greek Orthodox deanery. In the village of Konotopy was found a Russian Orthodox church and a school, not very well organized. Konotpoy also had a distillery. In 1440, Kazimierz (Casimir) IV, gifted the village of Konotopy to Andrzej (Andrew) from Opolska, a Russian Sheriff, and introduced the German method of civil government.
On the field known as Mogiłki, (mounds), which lies on the southern section of Sokal, were found one large mound and several smaller ones, which were entirely ploughed under. In 1831, quite by accident, several iron sickles wre found buried in the soil. The local farmers broke them up into flints. This happening is documented in the works of Schneider in manuscripts located in the Ossolinski Museum in the city of L‘wow (L’viv), Ukraine.