Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
Komorsk Wielki (Large) and Komorsk Mały (Small) are in the county of Czersk Świecki. Komorsk Wielki, in German known as Gross Kommorsk, also listed in documents as Comorsco, Comorsk, was a church village situated on the fertile land, on the left bank of the Wisła (Vistula) River, While one section was located on the Wisła River, the second half of the village lies on a stream called Mątawa. A small lake near it is called Zawada. Komorsk was divided into two sections. One part was the property of the local farmers and covered a land mass of 3,763 morgen  , 121 buildings, 80 houses, and numbered 488 Catholics and 145 Evangelicals. There was a parish school in this section. The post office and the railroad station were in Warlubie. The second section of Komorsk was a colonist town known as Kathedorf in German and Komorsk in Polish, and was also known as Krzyżówki. This section covered an area of 1793 morgen of land, 213 buildings, 179 houses, with 866 Catholics and 318 Evangelicals. The town dates back to early times. On the eastern side of the town, on a high elevation on the Wisła River, were found many archeological items in 1876, among them urns with ashes, burial items, and bones scattered in the sand. These discoveries are described by Gottfried Ossowski, in his works “The Archeological Map of Western Prussia”, page 39.
In its beginnings, the village was the property of the Dukes of Pomerania. By the 13th century, it was in the hands of the Dukes of Subisław. The owner following the Subisław nobility was Duke Świętopełk. In 1246, Świętopełk gifted the town to the Bishops of Kujawa, the first of whom was Michał, as retribution for the damages inflicted on the church in a military action in the Kujawa region. This agreement with the Bishop was initiated by the sister of Świętopełk, who was the abbess in the Norbertine Sisters’ Convent in Źukowie. The damage was estimated as being over 100 marks. Duke Świętopełk also freed the natives of Komorsk from paying taxes and other financial burdens.
In 1295, Bishop Wisław of Kujawa funded and consecrated a new church dedicated to St. Bartholomew the Apostle. He assessed the village farmers a small tax to maintain the buildings, and a one-coin tax on the water mill was to be used for the purchase of candles for the church. He also offered the church the tithe money he received from the villages of Lubien, Rolewo, Milewo, Bzowo and Bękowa. Circa 1412, in disputes with the Bishop of Kujawa, the Teutonic Knights plundered and occupied the church, but later relinquished their hold. In 1684, the church burned down, with the exception of the tower. A new church was erected in 1684 at a higher cost by Bishop Madalinski, and consecrated by him. Others who contributed to the construction were Grzemski, a priest from Nowe, Jacob Dorpowski and his wife Elizabeth, nee Garczynski from Rolewo. They supplied the building materials. Other benefactors were Stanisław Konarski, a castellan from Grupa; Alexander Czapski, a standard bearer from Malbork and Bękowa, and his wife Jadwiga nee Działynski; Jan Jaśinski from Plochocin, and his wife Marianna, nee Dąbrowski. All the above donors are mentioned in a document “Echo Sepulchris Inscriptum in Peplin”. A description of the church and parish and other data appear in the diocesan schematics of 1867. It records the following: “The church in Komorsk dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is under the patronage of the Bishop of Kujawa, who ordered its construction. The present church was erected in the years 1797-1798, and consecrated on July 15, 1798.
In its vicinity stands a hospital presently housing six needy people. There were two Rosary Societies founded in 1817, and a Brotherhood from 1864. The parish numbered 2,780 souls and consisted of the villages of Komorsk Wielki, Komorsk Mały, Warlubie, Kurzejewo, Rolewo, Steinhof, Rozgarty, Biała Góra, Mlekarnia and Pastwisko. The parish school in Komorsk had two classrooms and numbered 205 students, while the second school in Warlubie numbered 198 pupils.
In 1765 and 1780, an affiliate chapel was maintained in Rolewo for the Pawłowski family, and was located in their manor house. A court was in operation in Komorsk where the Bishop presided and settled legal and religious problems. The court served the interests of Pastwisko, Warlubie, Pieniążkowo, Jeżewo, Piaski and Kurzejewo. There were 154 fields of farms (Jeźewo), along with a water mill and five inns (taverns) in Pieniaszkowo, Komorsk, Piaski Warlubie and Jeźewo. Besides the ten large fields in Lower Komorsk, there were pastures near Mątawa stream, and a large farmstead (folwark) with two fields. Other folwarks were located in Warlubie and Jeźewo. A large expanse of meadowland extended along the lower banks of the Wisła River. In the late 1800s, 84 morgen of wooded land was cleared, and 205 morgen of land was sold. In 1757, Ziołkiewski, a royal steward from Nowogród, leased farm property in Komorsk at a yearly cost of 7,400 złoty. This is documented in a yearly publication in Torun “X kujot” which outlined the wealth of the Bishops in Pomerania, as written by Wegner, of Kreis Schwetz.
↑  One morgen (mr.) equals ~2.1 acres.