Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (Issue #75, July 2005)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen C. Bienick
Kanna, a village, lies on the right bank of the Wisła River, in an area which housed a customs office. It is part of the county of Dąbrowa Tarnowska, southwest of the village of Bolesław, where the parish church and postal district are located. It lies in a level ground of the Wisła river bed, 176 meters above sea level. In the late 1800s, the population numbered 464 people of whom 61 resided on a large estate holding. The inhabitants, Roman Catholics, had a chapel which was built by the populace, and in which devotions were held. On the north and the west, Kanna is surrounded by the Wisła river, on the east it borders Bolesław, and on the south Samocice. A large farmstead owned by Count Arthur Potocki covered 207 morgen  of farmland, 33 morgen of meadows and gardens, 12 morgen of pastureland, and 91 morgen of forests. The village covered 272 morgen of farms, 23 morgen of meadows and gardens, and 168 morgen of pastures. The writer Długosz in his work, Liber Beneficiorum Volume II page 433, writes that Kanna was once the property of Jan Lipnicki and his heirs.
Terms Requiring Further Explanation:
- ↑  morgen - a land measure equivalent to ~ 2.1 acres