Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
Grywałd, once called Grymwald, is a village in the county of Nowy Targ. It lies on the road leading from Nowy Targ to Krościenko, on the northern side. On its southern side is the Lubiań spring, heading to a stream called Wąski, which runs into a stream called the Krośnica. To the west Grywald borders Krośnica, to the east lies Krościenko, and to the south lie the villages of Hałuszowa and Tylka. Tylmanowa lies on the northeast, as do the mountains, among them Gorce, Lubań (12ll meters in height), Marsowiec 832 meters high, and Jaworzyna, with an elevation of 1050 meters. Many streams originate here, namely Wąska, Lubań and Polenic, which empty into the Sosna River. To the north, rise other hills with elevations of 1086 meters, 860 meters, 908 meters, 777 meters, 582 meters, and 585 meters.
The church in Grywałd numbered 546 souls. The census of 1869 counted 698 inhabitants (354 men and 344 women) and 115 houses. According to the schematics of the diocese of Tarnów in 1880, there were 534 Catholics. Of the two folwarks (large farmsteads) one covered 112 morgen of fertile farmlands, 40 mr. of meadows and gardens, 478 mr. of pastures and 105 fields, all in Austrian land measurements.
In 1777 there were 78 houses, 385 Catholics and 12 Jews. By 1824, the figures showed 106 houses with 611 inhabitants. According to the county records in Czorsztyn, the owner of Grywałd paid a tax of 634½ “groszy” (groschen) on 9½ large fields.
The Grzywałdzki noble family administered the town affairs in 1591. Maciej and Kasper Grywałdzki received that privilege from King Zygmunt (Sigismund II) in Kraków on June 22, 1591, which they held until the death of Kasper in 1615.
Kasper’s successor was Bartłomiej Grzywałdzki. In 1621 he refused to surrender his position to Maciej Rypiński as mandated by the king. Rypiński presented his case to the local court. The commission hearing his complaint consisted of Jakób Łąbecki, a vicar from Sromowce, as well as commissioners Jan Kolaszkowski, Stanisław Piotrkowski, and Jakób Zaleski. In 1623 Bartlomiej Grywałdzki still held his office, and whether Rypinski ever served in that office, is not documented. The next administrator was Wojciech Grywałdzki. Upon his death, King Casimir in Warsaw in 1654, bestowed the office on Walenty Sasinow, his standard bearer from Bracław. The last administrator was Franciszek Grzywaldzki, who died on February 24, 1791. On June 18th of that year, the village administration was placed in the hands of the Royal Treasury.
On January 5, 1745, King August III granted the administration rights to Franciszek, and Andrzej and Stanisław Chryczyków (Hryczków). They were granted free access to the royal forests of Czorsztyn, and were permitted to use the trees for heating and construction of buildings. They were given permission to operate a brewery and a distillery for their private use. They were also permitted to fish, hunt and operate a water mill. In addition, they were exempt from labors, and obligations to the military. They paid a tax of 100 złoty a year for each field they owned. In 1724, December 5, the office of sheriff was granted to Antoni and Franciszek Grywałdzki by King Augustus II. At that time there were three cottager farmers, one water mill and one brewery.
On October 11, 1759, Jakób and Anna Grywałdzki and Antoni and Rozalia Grywałdzki, married couples, received permission from the king to transfer their rights to their sons, Franciszek and Józef.
According to records from 1765, the town had a capital in the amount of 490 złoty and 27 groszy. The yearly expenses amounted to 90 złoty and 27 groszy. The yearly income amounted to 400 złoty, or 100 złoty each quarter.
The Catholic church in Grywałd was an affiliate of the parish in Krościenko. The post office was located in Krościenko, also. In the late 1800s, the town was the property of Michał and Anna Dziewal.