Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (Issue #77, January 2006)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
Dubin, once known as Dupin, is located in the county of Krobia, on the river called Orła, which flows from Wasarz to Barycz, and runs along the same direction as the Odra river. The terrain is flat and even, and the soil is very fertile. On the east and the northeast, was the border of Szląsk (Silesia). In 1871 there were 84 houses, 630 in¬habitants, 33 Evangelicals, 587 Catholics, and 60 illiterate people. Dubin belonged to the administrative district of Jutrosin, and the circuit court in Rawicz. The Catholic church was part of the deanery of Jutrosin. There was an elementary school in the village. The majority of the people were engaged in farming. There was a distillery, a postal agency, a high road ran through the town, with the railroad station in Jutrosin, about four kilometers away. Dubin is an old town, which was already mentioned in the 13th century. Katarzyna (Katherine) Zginalska, a noblewoman who owned the town, built the parish church in 1445. After that church burned, Barbara Jastrzębska, whose coat of arms was called "Zaręba", built a new church in the 16th century. In the 18th century, Dubin was the property of the Zakrzewski noblemen. In the walls surrounding the church was a monument / tombstone of Piotr (Peter) Jastrzębski who died in 1613. This monument was once in the church itself. There are also four portraits of the Jastrzębskis found in the church. The holdings of Dubin were once the property of Adam Czartoryski, who also owned the town of Rokoszowo, in total 13,670 morgen  of land.
Dubin, once known as Dupin
Excerpt from „Small Historical Descriptions of Parishes in the Old Diocese of Poznań”, Volume 2, pages, 97-99, Written by Joseph Lukasiewicz
Translated by Helen C. Bienick
The small town of Dupin, on the Orła river, during the 16th and 17th centuries, was the property of the Jastrzębski noble family from Wielkopolska (Greater Poland). Their coat of arms was "Zaręba". In the 18th century, the town belonged to the Zakrzewski and Kozminski families. The church was erected in 1445, by the town owner, who at that time was Katarzyna (Katherine) Zginalska. The particulars of its beginning were described in the Bishop's records as of March 7th, 1445 and in the church consistory books of December 17, 1649. The wooden church funded by Zginalska stood until the late 16th century. It may have burned down, or fallen into ruins. Barbara Sielec Jastrzębski built a new church, an event that was noted duly by the visit of bishop Wolski in 1667. His report states that "In Dupin now stands the church of Sw. Mikołaj (St. Nicholas) blessed and dedicated by the suffragan Bishop of Poznan, Jan Baykowski, on October 28, 1630." The report states, that this church was built about 1600 by Barbara Jastrzębska. In the 15th century, Dupin was the property of the Zakrzewski family. The archives in Poland, state that Peter Zakrzewski was the owner of a part of Dupin and the village of Osieczek (now Osiek). A sandstone monument was found in the church, bearing an inscription in Latin, "In memory of General Petrus (Peter) Jastrzębski, of the Polish Legions, who died at the age of 33, September 3, 1613. It is built with the tears and sad¬ness of his wife, Sophia Sielec Jastrzębska.” Later, when the church was being repaired, this monument was transferred to the cemetery walls and unfortunately exposed to the elements and vandalism, as often happens. Besides this monument, are also found four portraits, without names, who surely were members of Jastrzębski family. The Jastrzębski family left many monuments in the family honor, but alas, many were discarded or destroyed in future renovations. At the beginning of the 17th century, the church had three altars, one of which was donated by Barbara Jastrzębska in 1612, and one gifted by the Rosary Society about 1616. The church was supported by the endowment of a large field in 1667, and the offerings of farm-grown items, by the parishioners. The metrical books and archival records date back to 1709. Those prior to this year are lost. The endowments of building the altars by the above mentioned were confirmed by the Provincial Dominicans, Idzi Trebnie, in 1634 and by Jan Dionisius Mosinski in 1641.
The first notation of the existence of a school in Dupin appears in the Consistory records and Archives, as stated by Bishop Wolski in his pastoral visit in 1667. He wrote "The rector of the school is the famous Gregory Lentwinski, whom the pastor employs, and pays with a measure of the proceeds from the large fields endowed to him. This teacher collected grain and oats as a salary, along with the tuition paid by the students. Just before 1667, the town suffered a disastrous fire, and the school house burned. It is hard to determine if it ever was rebuilt.
According to the account of Bishop Wolski, during his visit in 1667, a hospital stood near the newly constructed church. It too perished in the same fire that consumed the school. The hospital was financed and built by the income generated from two fields and two meadows. It too, was still not rebuilt, as noted in 1667.
- ↑  1 morgen - a land measure equivalent to ~ 2.1 acres