Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (Issue #55, April 2001)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
Chorzelów is a small town in the county of Mielec, then in the province of Tarnów. It covered an area of 3,595 morgen of land, of which 1,462 mr. were fertile farmland and 1,397 were forests. In the late 1800s there were 184 houses and 1,043 inhabitants, a large portion of whom lived on the Tarnowski farmstead.
The Catholic church, All Saints, was located in the village, and with the neighboring villages numbered 4,985 souls. At one time, the church was an affiliate of Mielec, but became a separate independent parish in 1854. The construction of the wooden church reportedly goes back to an unknown date, but it is known that it was blessed by Thomas Oborski, the bishop of Kraków in 1596. The parish records date back to 1611.
Count Stanisław Morsztyn endowed a home for the needy. The facility had a working capital of 6,000 złoty, and was a wooden structure. The town had a one-room school, and a distillery. Count Jan Tarnowski, the owner of the manor house and farmstead, maintained a stable of race horses in the late 1800s. His horses were renowned in the racing circles of Europe. Two of the most prominent were named “Meteor” and “Przedświt” (Dawn).
Chorzelów likes in a flat area on the road leading from Dębica to Nadbrzeże, about 3.2 kilometers from Mielec. The first mention of Chorzelów dates back to 1326. The present church was rebuilt in 1907 from brick, and in the neo-gothic style.
Note: There are presently nine microfilms for the Chorzelów parish, which include the neighboring villages of Grochowe, Hyki-Dębiaki, Berdechow, Mościska, Trześń, Tuszów, Chrząstów, Malinie and Jaślany. These films cover the years from 1611 to the 1940s.