Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (Issue #90, July 2008)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
Chorostków, a small town in the county of Husiatyń, lies on the river Tayna, 3½ Polish miles northwest of Husiatyń, and 1½ Polish miles north of the town of Kopczynice. It is situated in a very fertile area. Many small hamlets and villages comprised the district of Chorostków. The nobleman Kajetan Lewicki, upon his death, deeded his estates in Chorostków to his daughter Zofia, who was married to Count Wilhelm Siemiński. As a result, Count Wilhelm changed his surname to Siemiński-Lewicki. The town itself covered 4111 morgen  of farmland, 367 mr. of meadows and gardens, 72 mr. of pasture¬land, and 6 mr. of forests. The noble family holdings, 2046 morgen of farms, 136 mr. of meadows and gardens, 281 mr. of pastures and 74 mr. of forests, were the property of the Lewicki noble house.
In the late 1800s, the population numbered 4901 people. Of this total, there were 1500 Roman Catholics, 1890 Greek Catholics, and 1511 Jews. Reportedly, the parish in Chorostków was formed in 1851, and a chaplain was assigned in 1855; the parish was officially recognized in 1875. Count Kajetan Lewicki was instrumental in funding the parish. However, a decree issued in 1748 by Archbishop Mikołaj (Nicholas) Wyżycki, claimed that the parish was actually in existence from the early 18th century. The following villages were members of the parish in Chorostków: Chłopówka, Howilów Wielki (Greater), and Howilów Mały (Small), Karaszyńce, Kluwińce, Mszaniec, Peremiłów, Uwisła, and Wierzchowce. At the time this was written, the population showed a total 3715 of Roman Catholics, and 2000 Israelites. The parish belonged to the deanery of Czortków. Within the town there were seven public schools, and a chapel on the cemetery, where services were conducted. The Greek Catholic parish with its 582 souls, belonged to the deanery of Husiatyn. A private two-classroom school was also in existence in the town.
Some of the impressive sights in the town of Chorostków were the above non-denomin¬ational chapel and the church. A magnificent palace with a large garden was the property of Countess Zofia Siemiński-Lewicki, a noblewoman.
↑  One morgen (mr.) equals ~2.1 acres.