Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
Chełm, a village near the river Raba, lies in the county of Bochnia. It is nine kilometers distant to the town of Bochnia. There is a Catholic church, a part of the deanery of Bochnia, which was consecrated in 1825. Although the date of its original construction is reportedly unknown, it traces its beginning to the year 1253. The congregation of the Chełm parish numbered 4,046 souls. The church archives and metrical books date back to 1769. In its early beginning, the parish and church were the property of the Friars of the Holy Sepulchre, a religious order of monks from Miechów.
[This Chełm is not the larger better known Chełm east of Lublin near eastern border of Poland and Ukraine.]