Previously published in PGS-CA Bulletin (January 2011)
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny (1880-1902)
by Helen Bienick
Bukaczowce, now known as Bukacivci in the Ukraine, is located in the county of Rohatyn/Rogatin on a stream named Świrz, which runs about half a mile to the south of Bukaczowce and enters the Dniestr River, which borders the town on the south. Bukaczowce is located 2½ miles south of Rohatyn in a southwestern direction, and 1½ miles from the town of Burstyn/Burstin to the east. The railroad line running between Lwów/Lviv and Czerniów/Cernivci passes through the village. The railroad station is located nearby and is 88 kilometers south of Lwów.
One large farmstead covered 768 morgen (mr.) of farmland, 360 mr. of gardens and meadows, 378 mr. of pastureland, and 544 mr. of forests. Another large estate covered 588 mr. of fertile farms, 639 mr. of meadows and gardens, and 116 mr. of pastures. [One morgen (mr.) is ~2.116 acres].
In the late 1800s, there were 280 Roman Catholics, 501 Greek Catholics and 1059 Jews, a total of 1840 souls. The town had a telegraph station, a post office and two churches, a Roman Catholic and a Greek Catholic. The Roman Catholic church belonged to the deanery of Dolina and was built in 1747 by Franciszek Luszczowski from the town of Luszczów, who was the castellan of Sochaczew. The church was remodeled, and in 1838 was dedicated to All Saints. The following villages were members of the parish of Bukaczowce: Czahrów, Czerniów, Kozary, Noworzyny, Poświrz, Słoboda and Zurawienko, in total 530 members. Amongst these villages there were five schools available. The Greek Catholic parish also included the village of Słoboda as an affiliate with 183 members, and totaled 754 souls. The Greek Catholic church belonged to the deanery of Zuravne. Bukaczowce also had a private school with one teacher. The lending bank had a capital of 1030 złoty. Markets and fairs were held, mostly in the sale of cattle.